Pan-Hellenic celebrates diverse greek organizations during Welcome Week

Welcome Week took a special meaning for upperclassmen and freshmen who have yet to set foot in an IU class.

The National Pan-Hellenic Council, which oversees IU’s eight historically black greek organizations, sponsored a weekend of orientation and socialization opportunities for current and potential members to celebrate the council.

“Programming is one of the main ways we recruit new members,” said senior Jeff Williams, council vice president.

“They are, for the most part, to let the campus know what the active chapters are doing, but (they are) also a way to know what it means to be a part of NPHC.”

This year marked a first for the “Meet the Greeks” event.

Williams, who helped develop the idea and plan the event, described it as “business professional.” Members of each chapter gave presentations about their values, national reputation, campus involvement and opportunities.

Whistles, music and cheering could be heard Saturday from North Jordan Avenue as the council convened behind the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center for the annual Welcome Back Strollfest. Members of each chapter performed a choreographed dance amidst a sea of new and old faces.

Sophomore Tierra Griffin wasn’t able to make last year’s events but said the weekend felt both informative and unified.

“A lot of people came out to support NPHC, which was really good to see,” said Griffin, who is rushing now. “It was an event for greeks and non-greeks. Nobody was on a pedestal. They were trying to help everybody out.”

Because the council planned such a big Welcome Week event, planning and practicing began last semester, Williams said.

“You make time to put together a good show,” he said. “This is one of the first looks of what your chapter can do. You’re representing your organization.”