Kudos to Coach Wilson

Kevin Wilson

Professionalism is the most important quality to maintain while holding a job. Everybody knows this, save for a few.

This past week, Indiana football head coach Kevin Wilson joined 1260-WNDE in Indianapolis for a live phone interview on the nationally broadcasted Zakk and Jack Show.

Wilson was on hold for a commercial break before the segment began. As the commercial break ended, the show returned with the playing of the IU fight song.

Upon conclusion, host Jack Trudeau, a former University of Illinois and Indianapolis Colts quarterback, said, “When I played Indiana, we didn’t hear this song very often because I don’t remember them even scoring on us.”

After Wilson came on the air, he expressed his displeasure for the joke about the program before sharing his memory of playing Illinois.

“I remember putting up 61 up on the Illini a few years back when I was (coaching) at Northwestern and they kind of stunk it up, too,” Wilson said. “But anyway, I’ve got some things to do, what do you guys need?”

Trudeau fought back by saying the coach’s attitude was not fair and his co-host Dominic Zaccagnini eventually hung up on Wilson. Trudeau then began firing upon the program expressing his disgust saying that the IU football program “stinks” and that it gets zero attention from the media.

“I thought this guy had a pretty good chance at being successful,” Trudeau added. “If that is his attitude and he was really honest with us right there, that is the way he is going to be, he has no chance. Here is a guy that is in over his head and has no chance.”

Maybe Trudeau was right. Wilson did not have to be defensive on national radio, but what coach would not defend his program’s honor? After two national radio hosts make fun of your program, a defensive attitude is necessary to prove that you believe in the future of your program and for that, kudos to coach Wilson.

Bottom line, the professionalism was absent before and during the interview from the hosts of the show. Many fans, the local media and even people from across the country thought an apology was necessary, but it was not there.

A day later they appeared on the WNDE website expressing their disbelief with the situation and that they felt Wilson was in the wrong.

“We’re catching heat for our reaction, but what do you when (Wilson) has the action he has?” Trudeau said. “He got that upset about nothing and comes on and basically dogs our show and dogs us.”

How is Wilson supposed to act when these guys “basically dog the Indiana program?”
Wilson has not been in Bloomington long, nor has he coached a game, but the hosts of the Zakk and Jack show need to look at the facts before saying the coach has “zero chance.”

Indiana parted ways with Bill Lynch because of his soft style and failure to produce. Yes, he was a nice guy, but football is a tough sport and Indiana cannot be the weak younger brother of the mighty Big Ten Conference.

Wilson is a proven winner who recently received a commitment from the top quarterback recruit in the country. In just a few short months, he has completely changed the mentality of the Indiana program not only with the players, but also with the IU faithful.

Maybe the program did stink as Trudeau said, but any professional journalist would never place a collegiate head coach on hold while they dog the program and expect a smooth interview.

Indiana fans, your coach believes in the program. You can believe too.

­— smitmatt@indiana.edu