Monday, June 17

Bike safety still an issue despite efforts

Even though Bloomington is considered bike friendly, when senior Wright Cycling team rider Brent Nowinski gets on his bike, he sometimes feels threatened by the drivers he’s sharing the road with.

The city, understanding the importance of cyclists in the community, takes several measures such as creating bike lanes to maintain a safe environment for those on two wheels. Even so, there are some who believe the city could do more.

Co-owner of the Bicycle Garage Anne Holahan said her store has seen an increase in commuter cyclists since gas prices soared a few years ago.

“Keep in mind, though, that Bloomington is somewhat of a cycling mecca due to its size and location and student demographic,” Holahan said.

Those looking for a leisurely ride or gentle exercise by way of bicycle have plenty of safe routes to choose from, Vince Caristo, Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Commission coordinator, said.

“Our trail system is superb and continues to get better as the B-line trail nears completion,” he said. “This spring, the League of American Bicyclists commented that Bloomington is a ‘cluster of bicycle-friendliness.’”

Holahan, as a member of the Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Commission, has been working to educate the public to keep them as safe as possible.

A ‘Learn to Ride’ program was initiated a couple of years ago, in which a League of American Bicyclists certified trainer leads people wanting to learn safe bike practices.

“Also, several bike safety ‘rodeos’ are offered through the city’s Parks & Recreation department to teach children on and off the bike safety skills and information,” Holahan said.

Helmets are provided free if a child needs one.

Nowinski said some of what Bloomington offers is beneficial to cyclists.

“There are quite a few bike lanes, so that’s pretty good.” Nowinksi said.

However, as a competitive rider, his greatest threat isn’t uneducated children without helmets sharing the road — it’s the drivers.

“Legally we’re allowed to ride two abreast. That is, until we’re impeding traffic,” Nowinski said. “But when are we impeding traffic and when should the drivers just be a little more patient? Yelling at us is only going to make it a more dangerous situation.”

To truly become a bicycling mecca, Nowinski said he feels drivers and cyclists alike should both be educated in the rules of the road.

“It goes both ways to decrease the animosity,” Nowinski said. “Cyclists need to stop blowing through stop signs, while drivers learn to wait a little bit. It isn’t that bad.”