sports water polo

2 seniors named All-Americans

Water Polo

Senior attacker Jakie Köhli and senior goalkeeper Cassie Wyckoff were named honorable mention All-Americans by the Association of Collegiate Water
Polo Coaches.

It was the second time in as many seasons that Köhli earned All-American recognition. She said the individual recognition was earned by the time she has
spent practicing.

“It’s a great honor being named All-American,” Köhli said. “It’s a byproduct of the hard work that I put into training and games.”

Köhli, who set a single-season school record by scoring 80 goals as a
sophomore, downplayed the recognition and doesn’t expect it to affect the team much next season.

“I was named an All-American last year,” she said. “I think that was when teams started paying more attention to me. We have so many good shooters on our team that it really doesn’t affect our scoring opportunities if I do get more pressure.”

Last year, as a result of the pressure on Köhli, freshman Shae Fournier thrived,
scoring 61 goals.

Despite the pressure, Köhli still scored 71 times last season. Entering her final season for IU, she is fifth all-time in goals scored for the Hoosiers with 180, 66 behind all-time leader Kristin Stanford.

Wyckoff, a member of Team USA for the upcoming World University Games, also earned honorable mention All-American status.

“She is the backbone of our team,” Köhli said of Wyckoff. “We wouldn’t have made it as far as we did without her. I think her getting named to the USA University Games team just proves that she is one of the best goalies in the
country.”

Wyckoff is also in the IU record book. She set an IU single-season record last season with 348 saves and ranks second all-time in the category with 752.

Wyckoff said her accomplishments will not change how she leads the team into next season.

“Leaders emerge through example,” Wyckoff said. “Leaders emerge through their actions in the playing field more than anything else, so past individual achievements won’t change how I try to lead.”