No new information from press conference, police are still persistent

Although there have been no significant developments in the case of missing IU student Lauren Spierer, the Bloomington Police Department said that does not mean it will lessen its investigation.

Lauren, a 20-year-old, has been missing since 4:30 a.m. June 3. BPD Capt. Joe Qualters said the department’s main work is gearing up for the airing of Lauren’s case on America’s Most Wanted at 9 p.m. Saturday on Fox.

One detective is in Washington D.C. and two other detectives will be in Bloomington helping the numerous personnel take extra tips that might be received after the airing of the show.

“America’s Most Wanted obviously has the broad ability to get the word out there and prompt someone to make that phone call,” Qualters said.

Police asked businesses Friday to turn over any video footage they might have near the area of Lauren’s disappearance. One business on North Walnut Street gave police video, but they couldn’t speak about whether Lauren was seen on it because it’s still being processed.

Qualters again urged community members to come forward if they have any information concerning Lauren.

“Let us be the evaluator of the quality of information you have to offer,” Qualters said. “We know people have the ability to talk themselves out of coming to us.” Throughout the investigation, police have spoken to about 10 persons of interest, but today Capt. Qualters said it’s very important not to make the leap from persons of interest to suspects.

He said that there were several people who were with Lauren the night of her disappearance and they want to speak with them, but that does not make them suspects.

He also stressed that the BPD is still in the information-gathering stage.
Qualters also said that about 1,000 community volunteers have been helping search each day.

“As long as we have people showing up and willing to help we will continue to do those,” Qualters said.

Lauren’s father, Robert Spierer, thanked community volunteers as he has done each day. He said the strength of others is what gets him through day after day. He said hundreds of ponchos have been donated by IU in case it rains, and searches will continue today at 11 a.m., 2 and 5:30 p.m.

Lauren’s mother, Charlene Spierer, took a moment to talk to the media as well, telling them that what she had to say was difficult.

“I just want to say that as I travel throughout Bloomington, Lauren is with me everywhere. She’s here. I go down Kirkwood, I see her, I hear our conversations. I step on campus, I see her, I hear our conversations. She’s everywhere here to me, she’s everywhere, but she’s nowhere. Somebody knows where she is. She’s somewhere.”

On the ninth day without Lauren, she gave a mother’s plea.

“Our hearts are breaking, and this is just a continuous nightmare,” her mother said.
“Lauren’s a person, and anything you could do, anything that anybody knows or could offer to help us out is extremely important, and please do so.”

Individuals with information about the case can call the Bloomington Police Department at 812-339-4477 or the America’s Most Wanted tip line at 1-800-CRIMETV. Emails may also be sent to policetips@bloomington.in.gov.