Day 5: Nearly 250 people help in search for Spierer Wednesday evening

Missing: Lauren Spierer

Organizers estimated more than 250 people showed up Wednesday night to help as the search for Lauren Spierer continued.

Crowds braved the 90 degree heat and humidity for the search.

Organizers appeared more like auctioneers, filling groups of five to six people. Some came alone, others came as a group already. Many were walking on foot, others planned on driving to help aide in the search. 

Maps passed out by organizers showed the area west of Griffy Lake was the main location of concern for today’s volunteers.

Organizers said the entire city of Bloomington has been covered by volunteers. Some volunteers were also planning on traveling to bars today and searching there in addition to passing out fliers. 

Indianapolis news reporters were on the scene, both in the crowd and across from Smallwood Plaza, taking pictures of the organizers and interviewing volunteers.

One news organization from Indianapolis had a helicopter overhead, sometimes drowning out the voices of organizers and volunteers.

Hundreds have volunteered as the search for Lauren continues. Even though the crowd was smaller today than yesterday, the same optimistic attitude continued to guide the search.

To see more photos click here.

—  J. Edward Calabro