Common sense still best security at IU

IU does a lot to keep its students safe, but students must do their part as well.
The residence halls at IU have many safety features that are deemed helpful to freshmen.

After 12 a.m., the entrances to the residence halls are locked, and students can only enter the building with a key card.

Some people wish to enter the building during late hours but don’t have a key card with them. Students might want to be helpful, but they should not allow those late-comers in, Bill Shipton said, director of student residential programs and services and judicial officer for the campus judicial system. The key-card system is very high-tech. Swiping a key-card can determine when a student has entered the residence hall or room. “This may seem Big Brother-ish,” Shipton said. “But it really helps to keep track of missing students.” 

Cameras in and around the residence halls serve the same purpose, Shipton said.
Resident assistants and police officers go on rounds to ensure that students are being safe late at night and during the early mornings.

Many students think rounds are meant to get them in trouble, but it is really to benefit them, Shipton said. Students, however, will get in trouble if they are found participating in illicit activities.

The campus is well lit around the residence halls and parking lot, Shipton said.
If students are having a bad experience while walking around campus — during the day or at night — they can get the IU Police Department to come their way without even calling them.

Emergency stations around campus contact the IUPD and flash a blue light when a student pushes the button, Shipton said.

Students can also make use of the safety escort, a service meant to provide students with an alternative to walking alone at night. The service is free and can transport a student anywhere on campus and from campus to an off-campus location. Students simply must provide their 10-digit student ID number to the dispatcher and show their student ID when entering the vehicle. The number is 812-855-SAFE.