sports softball

Big Ten title in sight for Hoosier softball

Softball vs. Iowa

Senior pitcher Morgan Melloh added upon an already record-breaking season, as the IU softball team swept its two-game weekend series against Iowa.

This extends the Hoosiers  win streak to 13 games in the Big Ten and 14 straight overall, improving its record to 34-15 (14-2).

Melloh threw her eighth-straight complete game Sunday, coming within one out of a no-hitter before Hawkeye senior first baseman Stephanie Ochoa lobbed a single to center field.

In the two games against Iowa, Melloh allowed only three hits while striking out 23 in 14 innings of work.

She improved her overall record to 29-14 with a 1.70 ERA and 441 strikeouts on the year.

With four games left in the regular season, the Hoosiers are in prime position to win the Big Ten outright, or at the very least, a share of the title with No. 2 Michigan.

IU coach Michelle Gardner said she isn’t worried about any kind of a letdown in the last four conference games.

“We just need to have everyone continue to do what they have been doing,” Gardner said. “We have been scoring runs and playing pretty good defense while Morgan has been outstanding in the circle .

“It’s a combination of all of those things that we need to focus on.”

With the Big Ten title in their sights, Melloh said she thinks the Hoosiers are confident because they believe in each other.

“We all know that we have the support of everyone in the dugout so it makes it that much easier to go out there and perform at the highest level,” she said. “When you know that everyone in that dugout is pulling for you to succeed, it only motivates you to do your best each and every time you step out onto the field.”