Vollmar discusses working solo

Vollmer

Justin Vollmar is a dapper guy. Whether working in town at TD’s or onstage at a local venue, odds are he’ll have on a button-up and a jacket or sweater.

But don’t let his formal attire put you off. Vollmar may appear to be polished to the unknowing eye, but he isn’t afraid to be loose and have fun when it comes to music. As a part of the local music scene, he said he appreciates the role that musicians hold in town.

Vollmar’s self-titled musical project has brought Bloomington audiences subtle acoustic sounds with simple lyrics since spring 2000. He marked the first show at Rockit’s Pizza as the official starting point for his musical endeavors with the group.
Since that first show, group members have included local musician David Brant on the bass and Justin’s brother and local filmmaker Nathan Vollmar. However, Vollmar said the group has largely existed as a solo act, with him performing alone onstage.

Vollmar’s more demure dress fits the sound of his music. He described it as a folk singer-songwriter sound that is sparse and minimal with experimental flourishes.
Though he may have a subtle voice under the lights, Vollmar’s views ring loud when he sings the praises of fellow musicians he loves.

IDS Where do you think your music sounds best and why?
VOLLMAR Probably in a living room, but there’s something I heard about Patti Smith. She says she liked to play dirty clubs where the atmosphere of the place takes precedent over the performance. Hmm — well, my music is too quiet to compete with conversation in a club. Those conversations are important, though. The music is a conversation both with itself and those trying to listen. All the conversational competition adds up to an atmosphere that’s something worth appreciating.

IDS What album are you listening to right now?
VOLLMAR My favorite at the moment is “8 Men and 4 Women” by O.V. Wright. Did you know love is a crime? O.V. dreamed it was so, and eight men and four women found him guilty of loving.

IDS What’s your favorite piece of equipment and why?
VOLLMER Oh, it’s my acoustic guitar. I’ve had it since I was 15. I neglected it for years, but now I can’t imagine playing anything else.  It’s comforting to call it faithful and decide there’s no decision to be made.

IDS What’s your favorite band right now in Bloomington?
VOLLMAR Dylan Ettinger and Michael Anderson of Drekka have a new group called Dry Socket. It rips. Open Sex is great too. Oh, there are too many!

IDS If you could play a show with another group or musician, dead or alive, who would it be?
VOLLMAR Well, Harry Nilsson. His records have been on rotation in my collection most consistently. Plus, he never played live.