The New-t

If you haven’t heard, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is exploring the possibility of a 2012 presidential run.

Just like the type of newt you might find in a pond (slimy and easily able to overcome injury), this Newt is apparently eager to get back in the ring.

Gingrich, who has mostly stayed under the radar since resigning after 10 terms in the House, is campaigning once again, having launched an “exploratory” (read: fundraising) committee and continuously promising an ever-delayed official announcement of his presidential intentions. 

But two affairs and three marriages would appear to be two too many for Gingrich to campaign on “values.”

Perhaps not.

His marital past hasn’t stopped Gingrich from becoming cozy with voters about his devotion to “traditional marriage” (which, one might add, he has certainly done his part in undermining) and his close, personal relationship with God. Gingrich also credits God with setting him on a straight path with his current wife (who, by the way, was the mistress with whom he cheated on wife No. 2).

Great guy, huh?

He also said in a recent interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network that “(t)here’s no question at times of my life, partially driven by how passionately I felt about this country, that I worked far too hard and things happened in my life that were not appropriate.”

Hear that? It’s the sound of George Washington rolling over in his grave.

Social issues aside, Gingrich actually does have a somewhat respectable record of getting things done, whether or not you agree with his political stances or private liaisons. Under his leadership as speaker, our country saw a balanced budget for the first time in three decades and significant welfare reform was passed and signed into law (although he has also been widely blamed for the government shutdown of 1995). For many politicians, those two accomplishments alone would be impressive.

But instead of playing up his legislative successes, Gingrich has been pre-campaigning for the social issues on which he doesn’t really have much credibility.

He’s been busy visiting “family values” groups in Iowa and New Hampshire and pandering to the far right’s religious base.

You’d think a guy who’s on wife No. 3 wouldn’t rank values as the nation’s most pressing issue, above even economic recovery and defense.

But that’s the way Gingrich is pitching himself to potential primary-goers.

I’m not a Republican or a social conservative, but I do have to call it like I see it — a washed-up politician who’s trying a little too hard to become the leader of the free world.

biglehar@indiana.edu