My man Mitt?

Much to the disappointment of most Americans and the delight of people like me, the 2012 election season is (finally) getting into gear.

As Republicans begin the race to see who will have the opportunity to unseat President Obama, I see Mitt Romney as the most reasonable and electable pick of the current GOP pack. He has already set up an exploratory committee and is clearly serious about seeking the Republican presidential nomination.

A moderate Republican, Romney served as governor of Massachusetts from 2003 to 2007 and has built a reputation as a “turnaround artist” during his involvement with the 2002 Olympic Winter Games and Bain & Company.

Many on the right have questioned his conservative credentials, though. While governor, Romney signed into law what has come to be known as the foundation for the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (or, if you prefer, ObamaCare).

He has stated he supports abortion in some cases and domestic partnership rights for the GLBT community.

And he’s a notorious flip-flopper whose opinions conveniently shifted in time for the 2008 election.

So one could make the case that he’s a poster child for the term “Republican In Name Only,” and unfortunately his faith may be a factor as well (he’s Mormon), but I think Romney delivers a compelling set of relatively reasonable opinions on smaller government and social issues that could be appealing to independent voters. After all, they represent the demographic that has big clout in elections.

Could he win? Current polls say yes. A recent poll put him one point behind Obama in a hypothetical matchup. That’s the closest of any potential Republican candidate, including Mike Huckabee.

Interestingly, he’s quite popular with both moderate Republicans and Tea Party activists. This is an impressive feat that, to me, is quite telling of his potential electability.

The fact is many Republicans are not overly enthusiastic about any of the potential candidates.  

Romney is not the Obama of 2012. (In the words of Jon Stewart, he looks “...like everyone who ever fired your dad.”)

However, I think Romney’s more moderate opinions could help him appeal to undecided voters and pose a real challenge to Obama in 2012.

Now if only Gov. Mitch Daniels would make up his mind...

­— biglehar@indiana.edu