Level up as a gamer

psychonauts

All semester I have been thinking about this column, my last one. I was wondering what I could say that would resonate with the readers. How could I make it poignant, make it really affect everyone? Then I remembered that I write about video games. With summer break and a lot of free time for most of you, I decided I would give you a list of things to do this summer to become a better gamer. If you do all of these things, not only will you have more gamer street cred, but you might even stumble upon a few new games you love.

1. Play a classic for the first time.
With the advent of digital distribution and services like Virtual Console, it is easier than ever to legally get your hands on some of gaming’s all-time classic games. There are also plenty of modern classics like “Resident Evil 4” and “Beyond Good & Evil” out there. With so many games borrowing the game play and mechanics of their predecessors, it is always great to see where it all started. My personal recommendation would be “Super Metroid” for the Super Nintendo.

2. Play a genre you wouldn’t normally play.
A lot of people play “Madden” but would never touch “Dragon Age II” or vice versa. I never was one for survival horror, but I finally broke down and started the remake of “Resident Evil.” While I might not play another survival horror game, I can finally at least appreciate the genre. With all of the cross-genre games out today, it is easier than ever. “Borderlands” and “Mass Effect 2” blend the lines between RPG and shooter while “NBA Jam” offers something different from a sports simulation.

3. Finish a game you started and quit.
We have all done this. We start up a game and then never finish it. It can be for a number of reasons, like difficulty or time, but it just sits there on the shelf gathering dust. Dig down deep and power through it. Not only will you finish what you started, but you might remember why you liked the game in the first place.

4. Play a favorite childhood game again.
I have so many favorite games from my childhood: “Ocarina of Time,” “Donkey Kong Country” and “Super Mario World,” just to name a few. If it has been a while since you last played your favorite, the experience is great. There is something magical about feeling nostalgic but at the same time experiencing everything anew. The more you play, the more you remember secrets, puzzles and tricks. It’s like seeing old friends for the first time in years; you still recognize them, but it feels like you are just meeting for the first time.

5. Buy new whenever you can.
This might seem a bit out-of-place compared to the other things on this list, but it is probably the most important. The video game industry is just that: an industry. Ultimately, money decides what games get made. Fantastic games like “Beyond Good & Evil” have languished without sequels for years because they didn’t earn enough. Every time you buy a used game, the developer doesn’t see a dime of that money. On the Double Fine website in 2007, “Psychonauts” designer Tim Schafer said his critically acclaimed game had sold only 400,000 copies in two years. In comparison, a new “Call of Duty” game does a few million sales in the first few weeks after launch. I know living on a student’s income makes it hard to buy everything new. However, it helps, especially for games from smaller, independent developers.

I want to thank everyone who read my column during the semester for allowing me to play video games and get away with the excuse “it’s for work.” If you follow my five steps up above, I can guarantee you will have a lot of fun. In parting, the last thing I want to ask is that you never quit playing. Games aren’t just for kids and college students anymore.