sports softball

IU sweeps doubleheader with OSU

Softball vs. Ohio State

The IU softball team improved its record to 24-15 (6-2) after sweeping a doubleheader Wednesday against Ohio State. The Hoosiers outscored the conference rival Buckeyes by a combined total of 12-2 in the two games, winning the second game 9-0 in five innings due to the eight-run mercy rule.

Senior pitcher Morgan Melloh once again was impressive in the circle, allowing only two earned runs and six hits in 12 innings while striking out 22 Buckeye batters.

The Hoosiers have won 12 of their last 15 games and improved to 9-1 at home.

The Hoosiers’ recent success can be attributed to important contributions from many different players, something that pleases coach Michelle Gardner.

“Everybody is coming along,” Gardner said. “It’s not just one person now trying to do everything. It’s not just Sara (Olson) and it’s not just Breanna (Saucedo) trying to do everything, (Amanda) Wagner has kicked into gear, Cassie Gogreve hit the crap out of the ball today.”

Wagner, a sophomore, has been hot lately with two home runs against Ohio State after having the game-winning hit against Penn State on Sunday.

For Wagner, her recent success has been on keeping things simple at the plate.
“I’ve just focused on relaxing and having all the confidence in myself and my team,” Wagner said. “That has played the biggest difference between now and the beginning of the season.”

IU will welcome in-state opponent Indiana State to Bloomington at 3 p.m. today.