Zeller shines, BYU looks to make noise

While 2011 IU recruit Cody Zeller was preparing for a second consecutive Indiana High School Championship, his big brother was turning heads on the next level.

North Carolina junior forward Tyler Zeller saved his best play for the NCAA Tournament, scoring a career-high 32 points in the Tar Heels’ first-round rout of Long Island. He backed that up by scoring 23 points against Washington, advancing to the Sweet Sixteen against Marquette on Sunday.

While all eyes were focused on UNC freshman forward Harrison Barnes, it was Zeller who gave the Tar Heels a go-to option in the paint.

Using a variety of post moves and beating the Huskies down the floor, Zeller went 8-of-14 from the floor and a perfect 7-of-7 from the free-throw line. Defensively, he altered shots, which made for misses or blocks for his teammates.

But it doesn’t get any easier for Zeller as he tries to control the paint for North Carolina. Potential Elite Eight opponent Kentucky boasts a string of players — from freshman Terrence Jones to senior Josh Harrelson — who make their living around the basket. Ohio State, meanwhile, only has a Naismith finalist in Jared Sullinger.

That didn’t deter Zeller earlier this season, though. In a December win against the Wildcats, he scored 27 points, hauled in 11 rebounds and recorded five blocks in arguably his best all-around game of the season.

As current and future Hoosiers watch the elder Zeller lead the Tar Heels, they can only hope the apple didn’t fall far from the tree.

Can Jimmer carry the Cougars?

College basketball prides itself on teamwork, chemistry and ball movement. Rarely does a team go deep in the NCAA Tournament relying heavily on a single player.
Brigham Young’s sensational senior guard Jimmer Fredette is trying to buck that trend.

After pouring in 32 and 34 points in victories against Wofford and Gonzaga, respectively, Fredette and the Cougars are in the Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 1981.

Two more wins and Fredette will have BYU in its first-ever Final Four appearance after an NCAA-record 25 tournaments without one. But can he do it without another consistent scorer?

In BYU’s two victories in this year’s tournament, only forward Noah Hartsock (10 and 13 points) has scored in the double digits along with Fredette. And Brandon Davies, BYU’s leading rebounder and most efficient scorer in the regular season, was dismissed from the team.

An example of a team topping a transcendent individual has already been in the cards in this tournament. Kansas State’s Jacob Pullen had 58 percent of his team’s points (38 total) in Saturday’s matchup with Wisconsin, but the Badgers used a balanced attack with four players in double digits for the 70-65 victory.

Next in line for Fredette’s path to greatness is two-seeded Florida on Thursday — the same team he scored 37 points against in an opening round victory in last year’s tournament.