Walk it out

As temperatures rise and weather becomes more pleasant in the coming weeks, charity runs and walks will increase throughout Bloomington and IU. There are many ways to get involved this spring, whether it is for exercise or charitable purposes, there are opportunities to participate almost every weekend until the end of the school year.

IU Habitat for Humanity 5k Run/Walk
Saturday, March 26
Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. Race is from 10 a.m. to noon.
Lower Cascades Park
Money raised will go to help eliminate substandard housing in Bloomington. Participants can run or walk a 3.1 mile route and enter to win raffle prizes and giveaways.  
The registration fee is $20 per participant. Runners can register online by March 25. Proceeds benefit Habitat for Humanity of Monroe County.
Contact Marissa Brown, brown25@indiana.edu, www.indiana.edu/~habitat/events/5k.shtml

2011 Relay for Life at IU
Saturday through Sunday, April 2 and 3
IU Campus — exact location TBD
Teams of students or community members walk for 24 hours around a track to raise money and support cancer research.
Fundraising from registration fees, donations and sponsorships will benefit The American Cancer Society.
Contact Courtney Schultz, cnschult@indiana.edu, www.relayforlife.org/iuin

Bloomington Homeward Bound Walk
Registration is from noon to 1 p.m. Walk begins at 1 p.m.
Third Street Park
A 5k walk through downtown Bloomington. There will be live entertainment, refreshments, face painting and more.
Each participating team tries to meet a monetary goal set by its members. Proceeds benefit 11 local service agencies which serve those experiencing homelessness and poverty in Bloomington and Monroe County.
Contact Kathy Mayer, 812-349-3430 or mayerk@bloomington.in.gov, www.homewardboundindiana.org/bloomington

YMCA Spring Running Festival 5k and 10k
Registration begins at 7 a.m. Races begin at 8 a.m.
Monroe County YMCA
Runners have the option of participating in a 5k or 10k run, a 5k Race Walk or a Fun Run.  
Fundraising is through registration fee. Fees range from $10 to $23, depending on the race selected. Proceeds benefit YMCA Partner with Youth Scholarships.
Contact Matt Osgood, 812-876-4020, www.monroecountyymca.org

5k Run for HoosiersCare
Registration is from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. Race begins at 9 a.m.
Sherwood Oaks Christian Church
Participants can choose to run or walk in a 5k or run in a 1-mile Family Fun Run.
Fundraising is through registration fee. Early registration for the 5k is $15 before April 25. The Family Fun Run is $5. Proceeds benefit HoosiersCare, which provides affordable housing for patients of the Indiana University Health Proton Center.
Contact Dayna Clarke, 812-876-4020, www.hoosierscare.com