Mayor outlines plans for city development

State of the City

Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan spoke about the city’s plans to improve the economy, public safety, quality of life and sustainability during his State of the City address Wednesday at City Hall.

While he described several initiatives for improvement in these areas, he said expanding the downtown area is the most urgent focus his office and the city council will be pursuing.

The city has reached a preliminary deal with IU to buy land north of City Hall and Showers Plaza to integrate into a technology park. City officials will sell the land to businesses that Kruzan said will improve the city.

The other piece of the downtown improvement plan is park creation on the B-Line Trail.

“This adds to community commerce and character, quality of life and also the economy,” Kruzan said.

Kruzan and city officials outlined plans for deals to convince IU Health Bloomington Hospital to remain within city limits and to expand Bloomington Entertainment and Arts District facilities.

“The city administration has met privately with hospital leadership to demonstrate our willingness to consider even unconventional ideas to retain Bloomington Hospital in its current location,” said Planning Director Tom Micuda.

Democrat John Hamilton, Kruzan’s opponent in the mayoral primary, said Kruzan failed to address violent crime, homelessness and education.

“These challenges and opportunities require energetic, innovative leadership and the ability to follow through with effective action,” Hamilton said.