Monday, June 17

Local man arrested in assault, robbery investigation

Bloomington Police arrested a man last weekend in an investigation of recent robberies, according to Bloomington Police Department Capt. Joe Qualters in a press release.

Police arrested Lance J. “Rico” Charleston, 28, on March 5. He is a suspect in several robberies and assaults.

Of those events, he is suspect in one incident on Feb. 28 where a female resident’s jaw was broken.

According to the release, BPD has been investigating robberies where the victims reported being struck or pushed to the ground and their purses taken from them.

All of the victims identified two black males as the suspects.

The suspects appeared to target female IU students who were walking home from the
downtown area late at night, or from other areas students might frequent, such as restaurants or apartment complexes, according to the release.

Police conducted “saturation patrols” in the affected areas, with uniform and plain clothes officers.

Police made several arrests during the patrols that were unrelated to the robberies. But, information gathered from some of those arrested pointed to Charleston.

At that time, Charleston was only known as “Rico.” Charleston was identified through Facebook and known associates.

The woman who reported being assaulted on Feb. 28, whose jaw was broken, identified Charleston. A warrant was then issued for his arrest.

At about 12:30 a.m. March 5, officers received information that Charleston was at
Crestmont Housing at Summit and Monroe streets. 

When officers arrived, they noticed a vehicle was speeding away from the area.
Officers determined Charleston fled from the vehicle just prior to officers stopping it. Officers set up a perimeter and noticed Charleston going into an unlocked garage in the 1200 block of West 15th Street.

Officers entered the garage and took Charleston into custody without incident. During questioning, Charleston admitted to his involvement in the robberies and the burglary.

The investigation continues. Additional charges against Charleston and against other suspects involved in the crimes are possible.

“Putting a stop to these robberies was extremely important to us. This operation is one where several officers and detectives worked together and did an excellent job of surveillance, intensive patrol techniques, information gathering and, finally, arrest. I am very proud of their efforts and the outcome of this investigation,” BPD Chief Michael Diekhoff said.