Hamilton discusses energy conservation plans for Bloomington

Hamilton

John Hamilton, candidate in the Democratic mayoral primary election, said he plans to implement a city-wide program for sharing energy efficiency information on residential and commercial buildings.

“This derives from a recognition that climate change is a very important challenge to the city and that we must take steps to ensure energy efficiency,” Hamilton said.

In 2012, Hamilton said he plans to add to water bills an indication of whether consumption is above or below average.

He said he would work with Vectren and Duke Energy to have similar information added to electric and gas bills.

Hamilton said he also plans to create GreenScore, which would require building owners to provide information about total annual consumption of gas, water and
electricity.

This information would be published each year by the city, beginning in 2013 with apartment complexes and expanding in 2014 to include commercial buildings.

All of these proposals would be subject to approval from city council, should Hamilton be elected mayor of Bloomington.

“Information is power, and this program today is about how to get more information to the public,” Hamilton said.

He said he hopes publishing this information will encourage landlords and business owners to be more efficient.

Mayor Mark Kruzan, Hamilton’s opponent in the May primary, said the city is already working on adding a usage notation to water bills.

But he said he supports Hamilton’s proposal to work with Vectren and Duke.

“The bigger question is whether private citizens should be mandated to turn over their energy bills to government,” Kruzan said. “I support energy conservation. The question is I would want to know how private citizens feel about that before passing a law requiring them to report personal information to the general public.”

Hamilton said he hopes making energy information public will influence consumers to rent more efficient apartments and spend money at more efficient businesses.

“If you’re the least efficient building in Bloomington, you don’t want to be there next year, and if you’re at the top of the list, you’re probably pretty proud of yourself,” Hamilton said.