Monday, June 17

Guns, possible drugs found in man's house Tuesday

Bloomington police arrested a man after finding drugs and guns inside his house Tuesday.

Michael J. Miles, 28, was arrested after his parole officer sought assistance from the police to search Miles’ residence at 101 E. Wilson St., Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Jeff Canada said.

Several detectives assisted the parole agent. After entering the house at about 8 p.m., they came into contact with Miles. He told them there was nothing in his residence.

Police found a Jennings .380 handgun in plain view. They found a black Hi-Point 9mm handgun in the kitchen. Ammunition for the guns was also found in the house.

They found in the kitchen a cigarette box full of what the detectives believed to be nine personal baggies of crack cocaine and a bag of a green, leafy substance, which they said they believe is marijuana.

The detectives also found two large scales in the kitchen.

He was arrested without incident and said he had the guns for protection after his house had been broken into.

Miles was on parole for a 2008 theft conviction in Bartholomew County and has a lengthy criminal history in Indiana and in Minnesota. It includes several drug offenses and possession of a short-barreled shotgun in Minnesota.

He is facing preliminary charges of possession of cocaine over more than 3 ounces, with intent to deal, a Class A felony; felon in possession of a firearm, a Class C felony; and violation of parole.