Monday, June 17

Gun placed on bar at Kilroy’s Sports, BPD makes arrest

Bloomington police arrested a man who was accused of pointing a gun at a bartender at Kilroy’s Sports Bar on Saturday morning.

Police arrested 32-year-old Michael Dane Murphy of Bloomington after Sports’ staff called police at 1:49 a.m. about an intoxicated man who had displayed a weapon, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Joe Crider said.

Murphy was sitting at the bar drinking when he allegedly slowly started pulling out a Walther .380 semi-automatic handgun. When the gun was partially out, he chambered the weapon twice by pulling back the slide. He asked the witness, a bartender, if it made
her nervous.

He pulled out the gun again and placed it on the counter so it was pointed at her. The bartender told staff members, and management asked him to leave the bar. Staff members kept an eye on him until police arrived.

Police found the man — and the gun — near the intersection of Seventh and Walnut streets. It was loaded and had seven rounds.

Police arrested him on preliminary charges of public intoxication, a class B misdemeanor; possessing a firearm without ever having received a license, an class A misdemeanor; criminal recklessness with a firearm, a class D felony and pointing a loaded firearm, also a class D felony, Crider said.

In February 2010, police arrested 21-year-old Alexander Brill, accusing him of pointing a firearm at a Sports bartender and hitting a man with the gun.

Brill’s case is still pending in Monroe County, according to online court records.