Fraternity marches for gangster Paddy Murphy

Paddy Murphy Processional

The brothers of Sigma Alpha Epsilon recreated the funeral procession of former brother Paddy Murphy on Friday in honor of his death.

According to the legend, Murphy was a notorious gangster and bootlegger during the 1920s, said sophomore Scott Eisen, brotherhood chairman of SAE.

During a deal between Murphy and Al Capone, a crime fighter named Eliot Ness rushed in and gunned Murphy down.

As Murphy fell to the ground, he gave Ness the secret handshake that only the brothers of SAE know. Ness, also a member of SAE, realized that he had killed one of his own brothers and ordered that he have an honorary Irish burial.

In recognition of their fallen brother, SAE chapters across the country dedicate a week to Murphy, including a recreation of his funeral procession complete with a coffin, Eisen said.

“It’s a really great part of our history that connects all of the chapters,” Eisen said. “It’s not just an Indiana thing — it’s an entire country thing that’s been going on for a lot of years. It ties us back to our history and shows honor for a fallen brother.”

This is the third year the processional has been celebrated at IU after the fraternity re-established its chapter in 2007, SAE President Nicholas Carder said.

As the sounds from toy Tommy guns rang out across campus, the SAE brothers, dressed like 1920s gangsters, carried the coffin they constructed last year on their shoulders as a brotherhood bonding activity.

They began at Beck Chapel and continued up Jordan Avenue and past the greek houses, ending at the SAE lot.

Senior Fintan Blessinger said this was the third Paddy Murphy processional he has participated in and said each year it has grown.

“It’s exciting to see how many people show up each year as our fraternity grows,” Blessinger said. “It’s a tradition that’s constantly evolving.”

Senior Evan Rifkind has also participated in the processional all three times and said he thinks that it’s important that SAE carry on the tradition in the years to come.

“It’s a solemn celebration of a great memory, and it’s just plain fun,” Rifkind said. “Where else can you dress up like a gangster and parade across campus?”