Bills to Watch

Indiana Senate

Traffic Control Signals Bill (Senate Bill No. 337)

Summary: Provides that a driver entering an intersection while facing a pedestrian hybrid beacon — a highly visible crosswalk signal — may proceed without stopping if the beacon doesn’t display a walk signal. In that instance, the driver is not required to give the right-of-way to a pedestrian walking on the crosswalk. Provides that a driver may turn only after yielding to oncoming traffic when a yellow, flashing arrow of a traffic signal is illuminated.

Authors: Sen. Ron Grooms, R-Jeffersonville

Latest Action: Third reading Feb. 14; passed in Senate 28-22; referred to House; Rep. Steve Stemler, D-Jeffersonville, and Rep. Steve Davisson, R-Salem, added as co-sponsors

Call Stemler to comment on the bill at 317-232-9600

FIrearm Purchasing Bill (Senate Bill No. 94)

Summary: Makes it a Class C felony for a person to knowingly or intentionally give false information on certain forms or offer false evidence of identity in purchasing or otherwise securing delivery of a firearm. Repeals a provision that states a resident of Indiana may purchase a rifle or shotgun in Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan or Illinois and a resident of Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan or Illinois may purchase a rifle or shotgun in Indiana.

Author: Sen. Travis Holdman, R-Markle

Latest Action: Third Reading Feb. 8; passed in Senate 48-1; referred to House; Rep. Matt Lehman, R-Berne, and Rep. Sean Eberhart, R-Shelbyville, added as co-sponsors

Call Lehman or Eberhart to comment on the bill at 800-382-9841

Indiana House of Representatives

Illegal Alien Tuition Bill (House Bill No. 1402)

Summary: Provides that individuals who are not lawfully in the United States are ineligible to pay the resident tuition rate that has been determined by the state educational institution attended by the non-citizen person.

Authors: Rep. Mike Karickhoff, R-Kokomo

Latest Action: Third Reading Feb. 14; passed in House 75-14; referred to Senate; Sen. Jim Buck, R-Kokomo, added as co-sponsor

Call Buck to comment on the bill at 317-232-9400