Myths of MMOs

southparkWoW

The “South Park” episode “Make Love, Not Warcraft” had the stereotypical image of the MMO gamer. It showed an overweight, balding, middle-aged slob. The view of MMOs and their players by the general public is similar to the one seen on “South Park.” Of course, as with so much on television, there isn’t a lot of reality in that image, and in fact most of what you know about these games probably isn’t true. So let’s go on a quest to bust some MMO myths.

Myth 1: All MMOs are high fantasy games.
This is a case of popular bias. The most popular MMOs are high fantasy games, including “EverQuest” and “World of WarCraft.” However, that isn’t all that is out there. “Champions Online” and the recently released “DC Universe Online” are both superhero themed. If you are looking for sci-fi, you can find it in “EVE Online” or the upcoming “Star Wars: The Old Republic.” Even more niche genres exist. “World War II Online: Battleground Europe” allows players to actively battle for control of WWII Europe as members of the Axis and Allied powers.

Myth 2: All MMOs are MMORPGs.
Similar to the first myth, the most popular MMOs are role-playing games, so the popular conception is that all of them are RPGs. However, almost every genre of video game has an MMO. “PlanetSide” and “Tribes Universe” are first-person shooters based around persistent conflicts with huge numbers of players on each side. “Need for Speed: World” and “Drift City” are MMO racing games. Even sports games have MMOs, with “Quick Hit Football” carrying the NFL license.

Myth 3: MMOs are expensive.
Many MMOs require a monthly subscription fee, but there are also plenty of high quality free-to-play alternatives. The free-to-play model has gained a lot of steam in recent years with many formerly subscription-based games becoming free-to-play. “The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar,” “Dungeons & Dragons Online” and “Champions Online” were all switched to free-to-play later in their life cycles. These games still feature options for players to pay for advantages and content, but the core game is accessible for free. In addition to these retail games, hundreds of browser-based games are completely free.

Myth 4: MMOs take huge time commitments.
To reach the upper echelons of competitive or cooperative content takes considerable time. It takes practice like any other skill. Players can still see, experience and enjoy a lot of content in these games even if they can’t put in 30 hours a week. Browser-based games such as “FarmVille” and “ESPNU College Town” provide MMO experiences that only require the player to play for a few minutes a day. Even more hardcore MMOs such as “WoW” have attracted a huge number of casual players and have made the games more accessible. “WoW” created a separate version of endgame raids that are easier and require fewer players to allow more casual players to experience all of the content in the game.

As broadband penetration increases, MMOs will continue to become more popular. Even now, people playing games like “FarmVille” don’t realize that they are playing an MMO. With the sheer number of games out there, anyone can find a game for their tastes. Online games provide a unique experience in the gaming world, and it is worth experiencing once, even if it is just for a month.