Building a new home

Ever since I came to college, I’ve kept my “past life” (that is, high school and before) at arm’s length. I still interact with my friends from home fairly frequently, but as the months pass, we become less connected. I made the decision to attend an out-of-state school, and as a result, it’s become more difficult to keep a close relationship with many of the people from whom I was once inseparable.

I talk to my parents enough that they know I’m still alive and spending their money, but calls are usually few and far between. After all, I’m a college kid now — a real adult. Jeez, Mom.

I’ve always had a fierce independent streak. On family vacations, I would beg to meander around alone, whether we were in the suburbs or Las Vegas. It wasn’t so much that my family wasn’t “cool,” but more that I just wanted to be seen alone — a fearless young wanderer who could take on the world (even at 8 years of age).

When high school graduation rolled around, I was ready to get the hell out of my hometown and move on to bigger and better things.

My older brother told me, though, that being at college makes you look at being home a little differently. I didn’t believe him, but he was right.

There’s nothing quite like sleeping in the bed you slept in for most of your pre-college days, curling up on the couch you know so well with your dog and a good book and enjoying the Sunday paper and a big cup of coffee with your family. As I write this column, my mom is making me cookies, which doesn’t happen every day (or ever) when I’m at school.

Everything seems better once you’ve been away for a while — after all, the grass is always greener on the other side, right?

This sappiness only lasts for so long.

After more than 36 hours at home, I’m ready to leave. The old familiar quibbles come out again, and it seems that everyone forgets I’m a “visitor” and instead thinks I should again contribute to the household chores (thanks, but no thanks). It’s time to get back to life as I live it right now: in Bloomington, as a college student, without the concerns (and comforts) of my pre-IU days.

But after a few stressful weeks of tests, papers and homework, nothing beats home sweet home, if only just for a day.

In a time when growing up seems so daunting, it’s nice to be a kid again sometimes.

E-mail: biglehar@indiana.edu