IU to face improving Michigan squad

men bball p1

Without its top two scorers from last year and an already young squad, Michigan entered the season picked as one of the Big Ten’s worst.

But after two months of good basketball, including near wins against three top 10 teams, the Wolverines are proving the doubters wrong.

The Hoosiers, meanwhile, hope to do the same when they take on Michigan at 8 p.m. Saturday at Assembly Hall.

“We have to buy into the game plan the coaches have for us,” IU freshman guard Victor Oladipo said. “We have to balance our defense and get back in transition to be successful.”

IU (9-8, 0-4), which has lost six consecutive games, will need to show that tough defense against a much-improved Michigan team (11-6, 1-3).

On Wednesday, in the Wolverines’ most recent game, Michigan narrowly lost to No. 2 Ohio State 68-64 in Ann Arbor, Mich. The Buckeyes needed a 12-0 run in the second half to secure the victory.

Michigan only lost by three points to No. 10 Syracuse and fell in overtime to No. 3
Kansas.

The Wolverines have been especially tough on the defensive end, holding opponents this season to only 30 percent shooting from the field.

Sophomore guard Darius Morris paces Michigan’s offense with 15.4 points and 7.3 assists per game.

Though he admitted the Wolverines would be a good challenge, IU junior guard Verdell Jones said his team’s focus for Saturday is on itself.

“We know what each one of us can do well, and we have to keep that in mind and not try to go outside of what we do well,” Jones said. “We can’t try to make something happen if its not there or try to do things by ourselves.”

This was most evident in the Hoosiers’ 93-81 loss to Northwestern on Sunday in Evanston, Ill. 

The Hoosiers opened the contest with one of their worst starts of the season and faced a 12-point deficit at halftime. Thanks to a late comeback, IU pulled to within 8 points but could not get any closer.

IU coach Tom Crean said consistency was the biggest factor in the loss.

“In the second half, we start to come back and play desperate,” Crean said. “We don’t understand that we got to play that way in the first half. We got to learn how to play 40 minutes quickly.”

In preparing for his team’s matchup against Michigan, Oladipo took it upon himself to improve in that area.

“My all-around play needs to be more consistent — on the defensive end and on the offensive end,” he said. “I can help the team out just by being more consistent and more vocal and step up in each area — and I need to take those strides to become a better player on this team.”

The Hoosiers also believe playing a conference game at home with the students back from winter break will be beneficial.

Saturday’s contest will mark the first time in the last three games that IU will play at Assembly Hall.

The team then faces Wisconsin and Iowa on the road.

“The students are back from break, so it will be a good atmosphere,” IU freshman forward Will Sheehey said. “Shooting on the same baskets and knowing the court and knowing your spots really makes you more comfortable.”