IU loses overtime thriller at MSU

Men's Basketball vs. Michigan State

EAST LANSING, Mich. — For the second consecutive game, IU sophomore guard Jordan Hulls had the ball in his hands in the final seconds.

But unlike last Thursday’s matchup against Illinois, it didn’t end the way he had hoped.

Hulls’ jump shot from the left corner sailed over the rim with time expiring Sunday, as the Hoosiers fell to No. 25 Michigan State in overtime, 84-83, at the Breslin Center.

“You want to be the go-to guy and hit the shot, but it just didn’t fall,” Hulls said. “It’s a pretty bad feeling, but we just have to move on from this and get better in practice like we have all year.”  

In a contest that came down to a few big plays, Michigan State capitalized when IU could not.  

With 42 seconds remaining in regulation and his team ahead by three points, IU senior guard Jeremiah Rivers stepped to the free throw line for a one-and-one.

Unfortunately for the Hoosiers, Rivers could not convert the first free throw and Michigan State got the rebound. The Spartans subsequently made a layup on the next possession to cut the lead to one, 78-77, with 35 seconds remaining.

“I was so confident, I wanted them to foul me,” Rivers said. “When it left my hand it looked great, it felt great and I thought it was going in. It was unfortunate. You can’t get them all.”

On IU’s next offensive possession, Rivers was fouled again. This time, though, he made one of two free throws to give his team a two-point advantage.  

Michigan State forward Draymond Green was later fouled on a layup with 2.9 seconds remaining. He hit both free throws to send his team into overtime, an extra period in which the Spartans would gain and not relinquish the lead.

IU coach Tom Crean said he felt bad for Rivers, who has grown and developed greatly this season as a player.

“I’m very disappointed for him because he takes that very hard,” Crean said. “We got to help him get over it because we would not have been in a situation to be in a game like that without the way that he played.”

If there was one positive aspect of Sunday’s loss for IU, it was physicality.  

The Hoosiers, despite being outmatched in pure size to the Spartans, fought hard from the opening tip. IU forwards Christian Watford and Tom Pritchard were aggressive on the interior and forced the Michigan State post players into foul trouble.

Rivers, Hulls and freshman forward Will Sheehey did not appear intimidated as they drove to the hoop for the entire 40 minutes.

Crean said he was pleased with the effort physically — and mentally — his young squad displayed at the Breslin Center.

“It was an incredibly hard-fought game,” Crean said. “Certainly (Michigan State) brought a toughness. I think our guys brought a toughness.  Neither team ever stopped battling. We took steps today but just didn’t get the win to show for it.”