sports women's basketball

IU falls to Hawkeyes in Iowa City

It was another tough night offensively for the IU women’s basketball team.

The Hoosiers (8-10, 2-4) dropped their fourth in a row to No. 16 Iowa (15-4, 3-3) 71-51.

IU shot 25.5 percent from the floor Sunday afternoon. The offense performance was outmatched by Iowa’s seven 3-pointers and their 36.4 percent shooting from the field.

Coach Felisha Legette-Jack's team was outplayed from the beginning of the first half when Iowa jumped out to a 6-0 lead. The Hoosiers faced several large deficits throughout the game that were too much to overcome.

In a game of runs, IU’s were never quite enough compared to the Hawkeyes’ offensive bursts.  

The Hoosiers were led in scoring by junior guard Alisha Goodwin. Despite playing only 15 minutes, Goodwin still finished the game with 14 points.

Sophomore forward Aulani Sinclair contributed 12 points for the Hoosiers and senior guard Jori Davis finished with 10.

The Hawkeyes were able to keep Davis, IU’s leading scorer, out of the offensive picture. Iowa’s pressure forced Davis to shoot 2-11 from the field. Davis also had six turnovers.

The defensive effort that IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack stressed all season was there for the Hoosiers. IU forced 16 steals and 20 turnovers but only scored 12 points off those turnovers.

The Hoosiers continuously put the Hawkeyes to the line where they scored 24 of their points.

IU will look to fine-tune those areas when they take on Michigan State at home Thursday night.