Illini forwards to challenge IU

IU-Illinois Men's Basketball

IU coach Tom Crean made one thing clear following his team’s loss to Iowa on Sunday: The post players need to improve defensively.

And with No. 20 Illinois coming to Assembly Hall on Thursday night — boasting one of the top frontcourts in the Big Ten — it needs to happen quickly.

“They’re a great team because they pass the ball so well, they make their open shots and they really cover for one another defensively,” Crean said. “That’s where the length really comes in.”

The Illini are led down low by 7-foot-1 center Mike Tisdale. The senior is a strong finisher in the post and possesses the ability to knock down the midrange jump shot with ease. 

Last year against the Hoosiers in Bloomington, Tisdale had 27 points and nine rebounds in his team’s 66-60 win. He is averaging 10.2 points and 7.2 rebounds this season.

One possible reason for the decline in statistics is the cast of talented big men surrounding him. Illinois coach Bruce Weber gives significant playing time to two 6-foot-9 forwards in Mike Davis and Bill Cole as well as 7-foot freshman center Meyers Leonard.

“When you start to look at depth, they truly have that ‘next man up’ theory,” Crean said. “Certainly they are experienced guys, and when you have four seniors playing the quality of minutes that they have, they are high-quality players.” 

An IU player who could play a big role in limiting the Illini is forward Christian Watford.

The sophomore had a big day offensively for the Hoosiers against Iowa — 30 points and eight rebounds — but was a liability on the defensive end.

Crean said Watford has a lot of work to do to become the all-around player he needs to be.

“He’s just got to continue to improve,” Crean said. “I know he wants to. He’s got to guard the dribble better. He’s got to be a better help defender. He’s got to be a little bit more alert in the lane, a little more active with his hands before the catch rather than after the catch.”

But while Illinois can give the Hoosiers trouble on the interior, it can also do the same on the perimeter.

Senior Demetri McCamey is one of the top guards in the nation, let alone the conference, and paces the Illini with 15.6 points per game. McCamey is joined up top by last season’s Big Ten Freshman of the Year, D.J. Richardson.

IU junior guard Matt Roth said though Illinois has a lot of weapons, he believes his team is well-prepared for the matchup.

“We’ve got the guys and are confident in who we have with us,” Roth said. “We just have to play it like it’s any other night. We’re not the biggest team in the world, but we know we can go out there and fight hard. If we do that, we’re going to be fine.”