Hulls keys victory with clutch shooting

Men's Basketball vs. Illinois

In a game of constant lead changes, IU needed a player to step up and take control against No. 20 Illinois.

Jordan Hulls was that guy.

Ahead by one point with 12 seconds remaining, the sophomore guard stepped to the free throw line and calmly made two shots.

The points proved to the finishing touches of IU’s 52-49 win against the Illini on Thursday night at Assembly Hall.

“I wanted the ball at the end of the game to hit those two free throws,” Hulls said.  “I just wanted to take simple grasps and not let the crowd get into my head. I was able to knock them in.”

In need of a leader without junior guard Verdell Jones, who was out of the lineup with knee inflammation for the second consecutive matchup, Hulls stepped up in that category.  

He found open teammates for easy baskets.  

He pulled up and sank long-distance three-pointers.

He drove the lane strong and finished despite 7-foot Illinois players in his face.

Hulls finished with 18 points on 6-of-9 shooting (including 4-of-5 from the three-point line).

After the game, IU coach Tom Crean spoke about Hulls’ growth as a player and leader for his team.

“You got to be happy for him because the kid works so hard, win or lose,” Crean said.
“You can challenge them, and at the same time they are challenging themselves. When you are on the same page as where the challenge is, then you’re getting growth.

“Jordan Hulls is like that.”

With the lead swinging back-and-forth between teams, arguably the most impactful moment came with 7:37 remaining in the game.  

Despite his team trailing by one point, 38-39, Hulls pulled up on the right side and hit a three-pointer that sent the crowd at Assembly Hall into a frenzy.  

Hulls knocked down another three-pointer, this time from NBA-range, with 5:02 left in the game that ultimately turned momentum in the Hoosiers’ favor.  

IU junior forward Tom Pritchard said Hulls stepped up when the team needed him the most.  

“Jordy hit a lot of big shots, and that was really big for us,” Pritchard said.  “He really opened the offense for us.”

Hulls spoke at length about what a win like tonight does for a young team going forward.  

“It’s definitely a good victory over a good team like Illinois,” Hulls said. “At home with the fans, it was huge for us. We’re just going to try to carry that momentum over when we play Sunday.”