Column: 2010 in review, with a Hoosier spin

In 2010, Hoosiers spanned the sports universe, both in and outside of Bloomington. It was a year that included the Super Bowl, Ryder Cup and pressing off-field issues. Here’s a look back at some of the major stories that broke in 2010 with Hoosier ties.

Porter seals the deal

Super Bowl XLIV — Feb. 7, 2010 — South Florida: The Colts returned to Miami, a site where three years prior, the team won Indianapolis’ first Super Bowl with a 29-17 victory against the Chicago Bears.

This time, the Colts would face an emotional NFC Champion in the New Orleans Saints. The Saints, the first team to ever take a three-game losing streak into the playoffs and win the Super Bowl, overcame an early 10-0 deficit thanks to an almost surreal 32-of-39 passing performance by quarterback Drew Brees.

The game will be remembered for its second half, in which New Orleans coach Sean Payton successfully opened the half by calling an onside kick to add to one of the most memorable Super Bowls ever.

With 3:12 remaining in the game, second-year Saints defensive back and former IU standout Tracy Porter intercepted Peyton Manning and took the pick for a touchdown to seal the game.

“When we got inside of two minutes, I knew we were going to win the game,” Porter said to USA Today. “I didn’t want to take anything for granted. I knew we still had about (three) minutes to go in the game, and we had to go back out there, but ... once we got the fourth down stop in the red zone with 55 seconds left, then I knew we were winning the game.”

Overton represents IU

2010 Ryder Cup — Oct. 1-3, 2010 — Celtic Manor, Wales: PGA Tour surprise star and former IU golf great Jeff Overton’s successful season earned him a spot on the 2010 U.S. Ryder Cup team; a team which hoped to defend its 2008 championship against the Europeans. Overton, an Evansville native, recorded six top-10 finishes and three runner-up finishes in 2010.

Despite a memorable comeback by the Americans on the final day of play, the Europeans captured the cup. Overton gained notable publicity during the event on the first day of play.

Donning a rain suit and battling sloppy conditions, he hit a 35-footer for birdie and yelled the familiar Indiana phrase, “Boom Baby.”

“Some days you hole the putts, and some days you don’t,” said British open champion Padraig Harrington after the first day’s round to PGA.com. “It was Jeff’s day today. ...”

Moye suffers stroke

A.J. Moye (IU basketball 2001-04), who stuffed Duke’s Carlos Boozer under the basket with seconds remaining in the 2002 Sweet Sixteen matchup, suffered a stroke while playing professionally for the Deutsche Bank Skyliners Frankfurt on Nov. 18.

The former Hoosier star fell after a head-on collision with a teammate and was rushed to a hospital in Frankfurt, Germany. During the first week of December, Moye began rehabilitation.

Although members from IU’s 2002 national runner-up team are about as spread out as the Oregon offense was Monday night, the season still lives vividly in the mind of Hoosier fans across the country.

A 74-73 Sweet Sixteen win against Duke and an 81-69 rout of Kent State in the Regional Final propelled IU to the 2002 Final Four. Moye’s presence on that team is one that will not soon be forgotten amongst the IU faithful.

E-mail: fterhber@indiana.edu