DNR permits use of foxes and coyotes as live bait to train hunting dogs

US NEWS ENV-OTD-FOXHUNT 3 FL

Following an Indiana Natural Resources Commission decision allowing hunters to use foxes and coyotes as bait to train hunting dogs, animal rights organizations are working to put an end to the decision.  

On Nov. 16, the commission voted 9-2 to create a permit that would allow hunters to set up pens to train dogs.

“The rule proposal allows for the chasing of foxes and coyotes in an enclosure that allows hunters to train their dogs and keep them in shape,” said Phil Bloom, director of communications for the Department of Natural Resources.

CeAnn Lambert, director of the Indiana Coyote Rescue Center, said she has followed the work of the DNR on coyote penning since 2007.

Lambert said law enforcement officials discovered that hunters  were trapping coyotes and foxes to sell to hunters in other states for penning, which is illegal.

The officials conducted raids on Indiana pens.

“Our law enforcement was appalled at what they found, and how wildlife was being used to train hunting dogs,” Lambert said.

Lambert said she wrote a petition to make running pens for coyotes and foxes illegal in Indiana and until March of this year, the DNR supported the
petition.

Instead of outlawing penning, the DNR asked the commission to create regulations for it, Lambert said.

Bloom said the commission based their proposed regulations on those of other states such as Florida, Missouri and Wisconsin.

“Florida’s rules contain no language that prohibits torture. Our rules do,” Bloom said.

Bloom said other states require pens to be at least 100 square acres. The proposed regulation in Indiana would require them to be 300 acres.

In every state where penning is legal, the pens are required to have openings for the coyotes and foxes to escape.

In other states, there must be an opening for every 50 acres.

In Indiana, the proposed regulation would require an opening for every 20 acres or for every fox or coyote, Bloom said.

Bloom said the proposed regulation would also require all coyotes and foxes to be from Indiana, making trading across states illegal.

He said this would prevent the possibility of disease transfer.

“It’s in the best interest for the training operator to abide by the rules,” Bloom said. “We have no doubt that there will be plenty of eyes on those operating the pens.”

But Lambert said many of the proposed regulations do not make sense.

For example, she said all coyotes and foxes are required to be spayed or neutered before put in the pens.

“What veterinarian is going to spay or neuter a coyote or a fox when that veterinarian knows it’s going to be released in a pen to be chased by dogs?” Lambert said. “How are they going to monitor these stupid regulations?”

Bloom said there are still many more votes and changes that need to be made before the regulations are adopted.

He said the DNR is now accepting public comment on its website, www.in.gov/nrc/2351.htm, and it will take them awhile to sift through the public response.

Lambert said she was not hopeful about the DNR’s response to the public.

However, she said state officials are beginning to come out against these
regulations.

State Rep. Linda Lawson ,D-Hammond, is among other state officials who have begun work on a law to make coyote and fox penning illegal.

“Other states have found this does not work,” Lawson said. “It’s inhumane, and it’s wrong.”

Lambert said if Lawson can persuade other legislators, it may convince the DNR more so than public comment to make penning illegal.

“That gives us a little more hope, because the commission doesn’t seem to be paying attention to us plain old citizens,” Lambert said.