Black Eyed Peas an unfulfilling side dish

bep

When your last album spawned a megahit such as “I Gotta Feeling,” the prospect of matching that success can be daunting.

The Black Eyed Peas have suffered from that pressure.

“The Beginning,” is the next plate in a dance-disco buffet where the group’s 2009 effort “The E.N.D.” served as the main course. But instead of being chock full of hooks and surefire singles, “Beginning” looks like the leftovers.

Lead single, “The Time (Dirty Bit)” already nabbed the Peas a top 10 hit, but more than likely, it will be the last from this album. The technofied cover song aims to be the bands new “Feeling” but has already fallen short.

Will.i.am, obvious leader of the Peas, serves as an executive producer on the album, but it appears he could have used a bit more help. Though he does find use for guest producers and writers, Will manages most of the auto-tuned vocals here.

Unfortunately, that domination squelches his band mates in the process.

When her voice isn’t processed beyond all recognition, Fergie brings a little life to all the machines at work here, even if it’s as simple as some spoken word on album highlight, “Fashion Beats.”

The real crux of this album and whether or not fans respond to it is something the Peas are infamous for: lyrics.

While dance music has never been known for its intelligent content, the Peas take things to a new level. Lines such as, “leggo my Eggo” in the lazy “XOXOXO” are delivered without any sense of humor, an emotion surprisingly lacking.

“Beginning” has a few additions for your less-than-sober party playlist, but these Peas can’t be reheated any longer — it’s time for a new recipe.