Beats, rhymes and life

IU’s Hip Hop Congress works to bring ‘True School’ hip hop to Bloomington

Mac Miller

THE OLD SCHOOL

Mos Def didn’t hate Ron Gubitz.

Gubitz, a sophomore at the University of Southern California, had a bone to pick with the emcee.

The year was 1999, and USC was the host of a conference to discuss, among other things, a possible second “Elvis effect” in traditionally African-American music, brought about by the commercial success of Eminem’s, “The Slim Shady LP.”

Gubitz doesn’t remember exactly what Mos Def had to say that day — something along the lines of “85 percent of hip-hop records are bought by white folks,” or “white suburban kids buy the hip-hop so the companies create caricatures which perpetuate stereotypes of black people” — but as he sat on the receiving end of the mic, he wanted to say something.

Gubitz was born in Fort Wayne. He grew up in a diverse school and a colorful
neighborhood, and he had always considered himself a part of the hip-hop community.
To him, what Mos Def was saying sounded elitist, exclusive.

“Mos, I feel like you don’t even want me to buy your album, let alone listen to it,” Gubitz said after introducing himself at the end of the conference.

“No, it’s not like that. You misunderstood,” Mos Def said. “If you respect the culture, then I respect you.”

Gubitz left the conference on cloud nine. He headed home and began to brainstorm with a handful of close friends. The group wanted “to start something, so people can talk and interact to break down cultural misconceptions.”

A few days later, they filed the paperwork for the first Hip Hop Congress.
In spring 2000, Gubitz transferred to IU-Bloomington and brought the Hip Hop Congress with him.

THE NEW SCHOOL

Mac Miller, the 18-year-old emcee from Pittsburgh, will perform at both the Bishop and Bluebird Nightclub Thursday.

His well-produced YouTube music videos such as “Kool Aid & Frozen Pizza” and “Nikes On My Feet” have racked up millions of views and bolstered Miller’s popularity as a rapper to the national-arena. 

The IU Hip Hop Congress (IUHHC) will be co-sponsoring the performance, along with Spirit of ’68 Promotions and providing DJs for the opening acts.

The Hip Hop Congress is a nonprofit organization with 52 chapters on college campuses and in communities across the U.S. There are also two “affiliate” organizations in both France and Nigeria.

All share a common mission: to provide the hip-hop and post hip-hop generations with the tools, resources and opportunities to make social, economic and political change on a local and national level.

Ten years have passed since the congress came to campus, but the Bloomington majority still isn’t looking for what some term, “True School” hip-hop.

That is, hip-hop broken up into four elements: emcee, DJ, breakdance and graffiti art.
True School is a classification that professor of folklore and ethnomusicology Fernando Orejuela acknowledges, but discourages.

“I find it problematic in that there is a suggestion that everyone else’s art is invalid,” he said.

Rasul Mowatt, a leisure studies professor in the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation, has served as the Congress’ adviser since fall 2008.

“What they’re (IUHHC) trying to do is be true to the four pillars (elements) of hip-hop,” Mowatt said. “Campus has a strong indie rock presence. It’s hard for people to see everything they’ve done.”

Senior Alex Goulet has been involved with the IUHHC for four years, serving as president the last two — minus a spring 2010 stint in London.

His focus as president hasn’t been to bring about political or economic reform, as the Congress’ mission statement suggests. Instead, he has focused his efforts into what he thinks works in Bloomington. He calls it “Edutainment” — educating people about hip-hop through performances and other events.

The upcoming Mac Miller show is no exception.

“Mac Miller incorporates both new school and old school flavors in his music, paying homage to the masters and doing something different at the same time,” Goulet said. “We’re looking forward to seeing him perform Thursday.”

He also said the IUHHC has a long history of incorporating all four elements of hip-hop into their shows and events.

“Our goal is to help hip-hop live on, as it was started,” Goulet said. “Not to play Top 40 hits.”

On Nov. 11, the IUHHC worked with Live From Bloomington to bring rapper Freddie Gibbs to the Bishop. A sold out crowd massed around the stage with hands raised and heads bobbing as Gibbs and his entire entourage pummelled them with their own blend of Gary, Ind. gangster rap.

Goulet spent most of the show at the back of the crowd. Despite the overselling of tickets, he still had a grin on his face.

These days, Gubitz is the chief academic officer of ReNEW Schools in New Orleans. He also sits on the Hip Hop Congress’ Board of Directors.

“It’s incredibly rewarding to know that an idea conceptualized with people I love has expanded and impacted people around the world,” he said.

MAC MILLER BACK TO BACK SHOWS
WHEN 6 p.m. Thursday
WHERE The Bishop, 123 S. Walnut St.

WHEN 10 p.m. Thursday
WHERE Bluebird Nightclub, 216 N. Walnut St.

MORE INFO Tickets for both events will be $12 in advance and $15 at the door. Tickets may be purchased at Bluebird Nightclub, The Bishop, Dope Couture, Landlocked Music, Buskirk-Chumley box office or online at Ticketmaster.com.