Students rally against bullying

Anti-Bully Rally

The morning began with frost coating car windows and sidewalks, and a chilling grey mist hanging around the barren trees. It was not a morning to spend outside.
But that didn’t stop about 70 Bloomington High School North students and faculty from sponsoring an anti-bullying rally.

The students and faculty met outside their school half an hour before school started Friday to speak out against bullying.

As the adults and students spread out in a huge circle, music blared through nearby speakers. “We’re not gonna take it. No, We ain’t gonna take it.”

Darianne Robertson, a Bloomington North student, opened the discussion once everyone had gathered.

“We want to try to stop bullying,” Robertson said.

She reminded everyone that there have been more cases of suicide and self-harm by teenagers in the past few months. She said this is often because of the prevalence of bullying.

She also said bullying can be done by parents, teachers or friends, and everyone must be vigilant to prevent it.

“Sometimes we don’t even realize we’re bullying,” Robertson said.

She asked if anyone would be willing to share their story.

There was a pause, but a few students finally came forward and talked about being bullied at school and at home.

Bloomington North student Sierra Babbs had tears in her eyes as she stepped forward.

“It came from my mom, dad, cousins, grandmas,” she said, trailing off.

Two students came forward to put their hands on her as she struggled to continue.
“Please don’t bully,” Babbs finished. “Please.”

Students talked about being bullied for everything from being openly gay to wearing glasses. Some came forward and said they had been bullied for being too thin, and others said they were bullied for being too large.

Patricia Rochell, a Bloomington North student, said she was teased for her size, and at home she was bullied for sounding “too white.”

“But about two years ago, I realized I’m beautiful,” Rochell said, and the crowd cheered. “It doesn’t matter what anyone says.”

Diane Davis-Deckard, a Bloomington North teacher, told the students she had been bullied in high school, too. She said she was teased for not having the right clothes or a boyfriend on the football team, and she was ostracized from many of the activities she would have liked to participate in.

“It is not just your generation that feels this,” Davis-Deckard said. “We understand.”
Bloomington North student Lana Atkerson talked about long-term bullying and her fight to hold onto hope.

“I was bullied throughout middle school, and I told myself there was no way out,” Atkerson said. “You have to trust that your friends and family will be there for you.”

As the students pressed in close to hug one another, a song drifted into the crowd from the speakers.

“When your world’s upside down, I will always be there with you, to get you on your feet again. ... And it only gets better.”