Six acts perform at Rachael’s Cafe

INPIRG Concert

Despite the dismal weather Tuesday, a crowd made it out to Rachael’s Cafe for a benefit concert to raise awareness for hunger and homelessness nationwide.

The “Beats to Get ‘Em Off The Streets” concert, sponsored by The Indiana Public Interest Research Group (INPIRG), raised money for the National Campaign Against Hunger and Homelessness. About 40 people attended the concert.

“It’s about what we expected,” said junior Sarah Wirth, the campaign’s coordinator.
A total of six acts played the benefit, including an impromptu performance by Crescent Ulmer, a friend of Hotfox, the headliners.

Singer Zach Majors opened the show, playing a mix of originals and covers, including Michael Jackson’s “Man in the Mirror.”  Take a Picture, a one-man band consisting of Terrick Beitvashahi, followed. Beitvashahi played his 1950s-esque ballad “All My Time.”

The third act to go on was a tapered down version of The 8s.

“The rest of the band couldn’t make it,” senior and guitarist Sam Dearinger said. “Normally there are three of us, but tonight it’s just me.”

Sampson McMoon of The Constants filled in on drums, and the two played three songs worth of old-fashioned, gritty blues rock.

Afterwards, McMoon switched to guitar and was joined by fellow Constants member Louis Alyn, who played drums. The two switched instruments throughout their rock n’ roll set, which ended with “Slippin’ and Slidin’” by Little Richard.

The Constants were also short on members.

“Yeah we woke up this morning and read in the paper that we were playing a show, so we figured we had better show up,” Alyn said. “Me and Sampson were the only ones who could make it.”

Despite the shrunken bands, the shows coordinator, freshman Lierin Ehmke, was pleased with the show.

“We raised close to $200,” she said.