Q&A with rapper Freddie Gibbs

Indiana-bred rapper Freddie Gibbs, who now resides in Los Angeles,returned to perform in Bloomington Thursday. The IDS spoke to Gibbs about being a Midwest rapper, about Jay Cutler and about his comparison to Tupac.

IDS Do you classify yourself as a Midwest rapper?
GIBBS Yeah, I definitely would consider myself a Midwest rapper. That’s where I was born and raised, and that’s the story that I’m bringing to the forefront.

IDS
Has anything changed with your interactions in Gary since you’ve gotten famous?
GIBBS Just a lot of people coming out of the woodwork that I didn’t really interact with before. But other than that, nah, ain’t nothing changed. I still kick it with the same people that I kicked it with before. I associate myself with family members. Ain’t nothing really different. I don’t think I’m famous yet.

IDS Who are some people in the game you would like to work with?
GIBBS I wanna work with Dr. Dre. It’s a lot of dudes, man. There’s so many producers I like, I can’t really name. I even want to do some with Kanye, probably, one day. Hopefully that will work. For the most part, I wanna work with whoever want to work with me and whoever respects my work. I don’t wanna just work with someone because I like his music. I wanna work with him because he respects me, too.

IDS When do we get to hear your collaboration with Chuck English, Chip Tha Ripper and Bun B?
GIBBS We’ve got a couple records done that are probably gonna leak out, but we definitely have to get in the studio and do more work. We’ve all just been on our own agendas as of right now, but when we all get together its goin’ down.

IDS Have you thought about coming back and using your influence to help Gary?
GIBBS Of course. There are definitely things I want to do in my neighborhood to change it. In the meantime, I gotta put myself in a good position first before I can help. I’m at home all the time. It’s not like I’m distant or disconnected from where I’m from. It’s just that Gary needs a lot of work. It’s going to take more than a rapper to change it. I can definitely do my part by speaking out and getting in the public eye and doing things in the community. But it’s going to take more than me. It’s going to take other people to step up to the plate, as well.

IDS People as far-reaching as Bill Simmons have called you something of a savior for gangsta rap, and Tupac comparisons have been plentiful. How does that sit with you?
GIBBS That’s big shoes to fill. As long as I’m getting those comparisons, I’m doin’ something right. I don’t go into the booth trying to sound like Tupac. I don’t think people think that I sound like him. I just think they compare the energy and the content of the music. I’m fine with that. I’m definitely a product of what he did in music. I’m fine with that. There will never be another Tupac, though.

IDS You said you were hesitant to get back into the scene after Interscope went bad, and you were hustling again. At what point did you really decide to put those days behind you?
GIBBS It took a lot. The things that were going on in everyday life outside of rap were messed up at the time. I just had good friends around me that stuck with me and pushed me to get back in the booth.

IDS You think Jay Cutler is the future quarterback for the Bears?
GIBBS Man, I hope so. We need a future somebody for the Bears. We ain’t got a clue right now. We need receivers, linemen ... We hurtin’ right now. But it will be alright. I think Jay Cutler is a good quarterback.

IDS Are you excited to come back to Indiana?
GIBBS Yeah, I used to come to Bloomington all the time to terrorize the campus.