Obama visits Kokomo to discuss Chrysler plant success

Two days before Thanksgiving, it seemed appropriate for President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden to discuss the success of the automobile industry caused by the stimulus package.

The president and vice president toured and spoke at the Kokomo Chrysler manufacturing plant as part of their White House to Main Street Tour.

This plant, according to a White House press release, experienced cuts and layoffs until it was supported by the Recovery Act and the automobile industry restructuring plan.

Biden said the previous poor economic situation in Kokomo reflected that of the rest of the country.

“When the president and I got elected, we knew we had a heavy load to carry,” Biden said.

He said he and the president worked to lay the foundation for future prosperity in the automobile industry as well as the rest of the economy.

“The industry is competing again, leading again and most importantly, hiring again,” Biden said.

He said when factories are able to stay open, they fuel the rest of the economy so that restaurants, barber shops, department stores and other markets can stay open.

“And that’s what’s happening here in Kokomo,” Biden said.

Obama said he was happy to hear that the Kokomo Chrysler plant is now running at full capacity after a difficult couple of years.

Obama said Chrysler Group’s Chief Executive Officer Sergio Marchionne, who was in attendance, told him more than $800 million will be invested in the Kokomo plant to insure its continued prosperity.

“There’s still a long way to go,” Obama said. “The fact is there are millions of people around the country who are still looking for work.”

He said many of the workers in attendance knew what those millions felt like only a short time ago when they too were being laid off and none of the automobile factories were ready to rehire. But he said Kokomo can now inspire other areas around the country.

“You’re living up to that spirit of optimism, determination and strength that’s always been part of who we are,” Obama said.

Many believed the Recovery Act was a mistake, Obama said, and that auto industries needed to pay for poor business decisions.

“We knew that the auto industry was not built and this country was not built by doing the easy thing,” he said.

But Obama said his administration decided they needed to economically support the industry to prevent millions of jobs from being lost.

“We also knew that the very survival of places like Kokomo were on the line,” Obama said. “We couldn’t throw in the towel. That wasn’t an option.”

The president said the American automobile industry is now showing strong signs of
progress and increased stock values, and it is because people can place their faith in America and American workers.

“We had confidence in the American worker more than anything,” he said. “Today we know that was the right decision.”