men's basketball

Creek, Oladipo share bond

Hoosier Hysteria

When IU guard Maurice Creek came to Bloomington from Oxon Hill, Md., as a freshman, he had a hard time adjusting.

He wasn’t used to the small-town feel. He wasn’t used to being so far away from his family and friends.

But as time went on, Creek adapted to his new surroundings and became close to his teammates. That learning experience paid off not only for the now-sophomore, but also for his close friend and current freshman guard Victor Oladipo.

“I think he had the same problems early on,” Creek said of Oladipo, who is also from a Washington, D.C., suburb in Maryland. “He’s talked about wanting to go home and being homesick, but he eventually felt us coming together as a team. He saw the family being built, and he didn’t want to go home anymore.”

Creek, though, doesn’t only want to provide the occasional guidance to Oladipo; he wants to act as his mentor.

TOGETHER AGAIN

Creek and Oladipo’s relationship extends back about eight years. Both played for the same AAU program, Triple Threat, and became good friends.

And even though they attended different D.C. area high schools, their relationship remained intact. Creek and Oladipo continued to play AAU together and hang out off the court.

Once Creek committed to IU before his senior year at Hargrave Military Academy — then at South Kent Prep (Conn.) — Oladipo quickly became interested in the Hoosiers.

“We already kind of knew he was going to go wherever Coach (Tom) Crean went,” Oladipo said. “When Coach Crean came here and he committed here, we definitely talked about playing together. They were always on my list from then on.”

Oladipo, then a star guard on powerhouse DeMatha Catholic, ended up taking an official visit to Bloomington in early September last year.

Though he was with the IU coaching staff during his time on campus, Creek ultimately was the reason Oladipo committed a few days later.

“When I came on my visit, he made me feel at home,” Oladipo said. “He let me know if I came here, I would play and help this team get back to where it belongs. He basically drew me to love Indiana.”

‘LIKE MY BIG BROTHER’

Creek and Oladipo are very similar players on the court. Both are 6-foot-5 guards who like to slash to the rim. Both can create their own shots and hit from long range.
But the similarities do not stop there.

Their personalities are very alike, making it hard for them to stay away from each other off the court.

“I’m always at his apartment — going out to eat and just kicking it,” Oladipo said. “He’s like my big brother, my best friend. We’re very close.”

Creek said he loves having Oladipo on the team because they share the same type of personality and background. He also enjoys teaching Oladipo the right way to go about things.

The sophomore guard said he tries to give Oladipo guidance in all different areas of life.
Creek will point out things in practice that the freshman should work on. While back home in Maryland during breaks earlier this year, they hung out and — per Creeks advice — lifted weights and shot together.

“He looks up to me like I’m his older brother,” Creek said. “I try to take care of him. We have that brother-to-brother connection.”

Junior guard Verdell Jones said Creek has done a great job helping Oladipo transition to the college level.

“He’s trying to take him under his wing,” Jones said of Creek. “Even in practice, when Vic gets frustrated, Mo will go talk to him and calm him down. They’re real close and always acting goofy together.”

WORKING TOWARD A COMMON GOAL
Crean joked that Creek had better not give away too much knowledge because Oladipo is “right there nipping at his heels.”

The third-year coach, though, said he hopes the guards’ tight bond resonates throughout the team.

“They have a really good relationship, a great friendship,” Crean said. “But again, our situation has got to be where the team continues to grow and become closer all of the time. Those two are going to be mainstays in our program.

“You hope that continues to develop, and other people are a big part of that, as well.”
Creek worked hard this offseason to get healthy after missing most of last year with a knee injury. Before that point, he led all college freshmen in scoring with 16.4 points per game.

Oladipo came to Bloomington known for his athleticism and energy. In the little IU fans have seen from him, he’s lived up to those expectations.

Both players believe they can have a significant impact on the success of the team this season. But regardless of how the year goes, one thing is certain: it will be achieved together.

“We’re like family,” Creek said. “No matter what happens, we got each other.”