sports women's soccer

Women's soccer loses sixth straight

Womens Soccer

Playing against Michigan on Sunday after a 10-day break, the IU women’s soccer team lost its sixth straight Big Ten contest, falling 2-1 to the Wolverines.

Michigan scored less than five minutes into the first half. Defender Amanda Bowery had a quick play on the chip pass delivered by teammate Jackie Carron on the back post of the IU goal, and the ball went over IU freshman goalkeeper Shannon Flower’s fingers and hit the net to give the Wolverines a 1-0 lead.

The Hoosiers were not well adapted to the Wolverines’ physicality and let Michigan’s front line create several opportunities by the halftime break.

The Wolverines emerged from the locker room and again scored less than five minutes into the new half.

Forward Clare Stachel unloaded a long pass from her teammate in the middle of the Hoosiers’ box and took a one-touch shot that turned into Michigan’s second goal of the game.

The remaining second half was physical. The two teams each received at least 15 fouls in the game.

IU sophomore forward Orianica Velasquez helped the Hoosiers get one goal back by hitting a penalty kick in the 72nd minute, but it was not enough to prevent another IU loss.

Junior midfielder Devon Beach said the situation for the team is hard, but they would keep their heads up in the rest of the season.

“I think we just need to work on our attacking side,” Beach said, “We get success when we come out to the wings and get passes in. So I guess we just need to incorporate more of that to our games.”