sports volleyball

Volleyball looks to improve on 5-1 home record

This weekend, the IU volleyball (15-5, 3-5) team faces two opponents that provided contrary outcomes last year.

Last year, the Hoosiers lost two games to Michigan and won two games against Michigan State.

Now, No. 13 Michigan (18-2, 7-1) and Michigan State (11-8, 3-5) travel to Bloomington for contests on Friday and Saturday, respectively.

The two matches have special dress-up options for fans. At “Friday Night Fright,” children wearing costumes will receive free admission. On Saturday, the best college student costumes will be rewarded with prizes.

Last week, IU split its two weekend games with a win at Wisconsin and a loss at No. 6 Illinois.

One reason for the Wisconsin victory was because of the defense’s 17.5 blocks.
“I think our defense gives us the momentum with our whole play,” freshman outside hitter Jade Henderson said.

At home the Hoosiers have gone 5-1 on the season.

Michigan’s roster includes senior setter Lexi Zimmerman, who was a first-team All-American in 2009 and is third in the Big Ten this season with 762 assists.

“Michigan is a very different team because their setter is so offensive,” Dunbar said.
As for Michigan State, IU’s two wins last season might mean very little.

Last weekend, the Spartans defeated then-No. 20 Northwestern in three sets.

“Michigan State is one of the most athletic teams in the conference,” Dunbar said.
The Spartans have five players with more than 100 kills.

Junior setter Natalie Emro leads the team with 432 assists and 15 service aces.
Henderson talked about the keys to successful this weekend.

“This weekend, we need a lot of effort and passion on the court,” Henderson said.
Dunbar agreed.

“We are comfortable, and we have our fan base here,” Dunbar said. “In the end we have to execute the defenses that we are going to run and be able to serve and pass on our side.”