Sunday, June 16

Hair cutting marathon raises money for Middle Way House

IU Senior Paige Skinner tried to keep her head straight as hair stylist Judy Gavin added layers to her newly short hair.

Skinner’s former thick dark blond ponytail, which Gavin had cut off moments before, sat on the table in front of her.

“I decided a couple of weeks ago to just cut it off,” Skinner said. “It’s been growing
forever.”

Skinner got her haircut at a hair cutting marathon Sunday to benefit Middle Way House, Inc.

This is the third year Carmen Delgado, owner of Carmen Delgado Oasis Spa and Salon, has organized the event to raise money for Middle Way House, a nonprofit organization that assists women and children who are victims of domestic violence.

The marathon raised $323 for Middle Way House.

Delgado said she thought of the idea from the National Cosmetology Association’s CUT IT OUT: Salons Against Domestic Abuse program.

“Being that people have cut back on donating to charities, Middle Way House needs more help than ever,” Delgado said.

Delgado recruited stylists from several salons to volunteer one to two hours of their time to cut hair and raise money. She asked for a minimum of $10, but she had customers who donated more than the required amount.

Kathleen Wissing, Middle Way House’s executive assistant for fund development, said donations and fundraising can help the center with things as basic as paying the monthly electric bill.

“Many women come with nothing but the clothes on their back and their children,”
Wissing said.

Delgado said she recruits stylists that are the best of the best and “the stylists with the biggest heart.”

Gavin, who is also the owner of Kirkwood Hair Artists, said she enjoys styling hair immensely, and doing it for a good cause makes it even more enjoyable.

“If we had more volunteering, it would be a better place in the world,” Gavin said.

Gavin put the finishing touches on Skinner’s hair by trimming her bangs, and she ran her fingers through Skinner’s hair to make sure the ends were even and the layers fell correctly.

Skinner, with a huge smile on her face, thanked Gavin for the cut.

“I love it,” Skinner said about her new haircut. “I’m so excited.”