Women's tennis team claims Hoosier Classic

It may have been the first dose of action this season, but the IU women’s tennis team showed no signs of rust, steamrolling the competition at this weekend’s Hoosier Classic.

“I think we did well,” IU coach Lin Loring said. “Everybody got in a lot of good tennis.”
The Hoosiers won the four singles flights in which they participated and also won 18 of 19 doubles contests.

Sophomore Leslie Hureau and senior Charlotte Martin each won their singles flight championship matches while also joining forces in the doubles championship flight.

“It was good to get a lot of matches in,” Martin said. “I think we got better as the weekend went on.”

The second singles flight was split between freshman Kayla Fujimoto and senior Katya Zapadalova in order to prevent two players on the same team from playing each other.

After the tournament, the feeling surrounding players and coaches was confidence.
“I just gained some confidence, and I think that is the same for everyone on the team,” Martin said.

Loring agreed with the assessment of the victory but admitted there is still a long road ahead.

“I think it will give us some confidence, and it shows us what we need to work on,” he said.

Loring was pleased with what transpired this weekend for the Hoosiers, most notably their doubles play, how the girls handled Friday’s 30-mph wind gusts and the performance they received from freshmen playing in their first collegiate matches.

Despite the overwhelming success, Loring believes there is plenty to improve upon. The Hoosiers will now spend the next few weeks trying to develop “two or three areas” in each individual’s game.

“We’ve got a lot of stuff to work on,” Loring said. “Competition really exposes weaknesses. It really shows us what we need to work on for the next tournament.”