sports women's soccer

Women's soccer team snaps losing streak, prepares for conference play

Women's Soccer

The IU women’s soccer team had not won a game since its home debut Sept. 1.

In the following three weeks, the young Hoosiers (4-4-1) had gone through trial and error on changing defensive lineups and adjusting their mindsets, and they rebounded this weekend after losing three straight games.

With Big Ten play just around the corner, the Hoosiers reclaimed their home territory, forcing a 1-1 tie with Kent State on Friday and defeating Central Michigan, 2-1, on Sunday.

The Hoosiers forwards found their shooting boots in these two games. Sophomore forward Orianica Velasquez scored a goal in each contest while junior forward Carly Samp added one against the Chippewas. Velasquez and Samp lead the team this season with five goals each.

Velasquez scored less than two minutes after the opening whistle against Kent State, sparking the Hoosiers’ overwhelming offensive advantage Friday. IU outshot Kent State 17-6 but was not able to get a win as it allowed a goal in the 56th minute.

Velasquez, Samp and senior goalkeeper Lauren Hollandsworth drove the Hoosiers’ win against Central Michigan.

Samp’s and Velasquez’s goals in the 12th  and 73rd minute, respectively, helped IU gain a 2-0 lead. Central Michigan scored about two minutes before the game ended, but Hollandsworth made three saves to pick up her 22nd career win, the third-most in IU history.

IU coach Mick Lyon said he was very satisfied with the Hoosiers’ offensive pressure.

The Hoosiers open conference play at 7:30 p.m. Friday when they play Northwestern at home.