Women's golf places sixth in Michigan

The IU women’s golf team finished in sixth place at the Wolverine Invitational in Ann Arbor, Mich. this weekend.

The Hoosiers closed the weekend with a round of 311 on Sunday to finish their first tournament of the year with a three-round total of 925 (308-306-311).

“We were pretty steady through the first round, but you could see some of those first-tournament jitters,” IU coach Clint Wallman said. “You don’t see a dramatic difference in the scores, but I thought we played much better in the second round.”

Florida International separated itself from the field while taking home the team title with a score of 896. Its closest competitor, Iowa State, followed at 907.

IU sophomore Pamela Burneski led the Hoosiers from the get-go and tied for seventh place after finishing with a round of 77 on Sunday. Burenski capped off the tournament with a score of 227 (75-75-77).

Right behind Burneski was fellow sophomore Kate Coons, who had the team-low round of 75 and tied for 12th with a score of 228 (77-76-75).

“This was a difficult course, but we got good play from Pam and Kate,” Wallman said.
Freshman Sophie Hayashi also contributed for the Hoosiers.

In her collegiate debut, Hayashi shot a 79 on Sunday to tie for 40th (78-79-79) for a weekend total of 236.

The Hoosiers will travel to Albuquerque, N.M. this weekend to compete in the Branch Law Firm/Dick McGuire Invitational and will look forward to the challenge, Wallman said.

“We missed out on some opportunities and didn’t cash in on the ones we did have,” he said. “It is a good starting point, not just for our tournament next week in New Mexico, but for the rest of our fall season.”