The Rock still stands

The Rock

It’s been almost five years since late IU coach Terry Hoeppner took a piece of limestone and made it a symbol.

It’s been almost three years since Hoeppner died before he could see his team reach a bowl game.

But in the years since, The Rock still acts as the stationary mascot for the football program.

Before every home game, the football team touches the Rock.

“Coach Hep started something, and it’s just carrying on and getting stronger and stronger every year,” former cornerback Ray Fisher said.

Both Fisher and former defensive end Jammie Kirlew were at IU when the Rock was introduced and said the Rock means more to them since they have played their senior seasons.

“Every game reminds us of (Hoeppner),” Fisher said. “Before every game, I pray and say something about him.”

IU is famous for lacking a traditional mascot — someone to dress up in a furry costume and wave to the students.

Instead, the team has a personal reminder of a man who gave his last years to the Hoosiers.

Hoeppner came up with the idea for the Rock after an off-season meeting in 2005.

In a 2005 IU Athletics press release, Hoeppner said, “All along, I felt that this program needed a unique identity, something that the players and fans could relate to.”

Kirlew said “The Rock” is an important part of the football tradition.

“You must touch the Rock,” Kirlew said. “It’s a reminder that you’re home, you have the home-field advantage, your fans are here. This is your house. This is where you practice every day, where you sweat, bleed.”

Originally published in the IDS Homecoming Guide: Oct. 16, 2009