Standards still high for Kelley students

Two types of students are admitted to the Kelley School of Business every year: direct admits from high school and standard admission students already at IU.

And while they both share the same title, there are differences in how they reach this coveted position.

“There’s two ways to earn admission,” said Al Reiser, associate director of admissions for the school. “You either have to be elite in high school or elite in college.”

Kelley students are familiar with the idea of being “elite,” which is defined for standard admission students as taking three of four listed business classes and an English course and receiving B’s or higher in each to be admitted.

“It was tough,” said sophomore Max Walton, who was admitted to Kelley after his spring semester freshman year. “I studied quite a bit, but it was still a challenge.”

The number of direct admit students has been on the rise recently, Reiser said, with approximately 60 percent of any given Kelley class currently enrolled composed of direct admits.

Reiser gave two reasons for this growth.

“Kelley became more attractive,” Reiser said. “Our brand equity improved, and we actively recruit high-achieving students.”

The admissions standards for students applying directly from high school require them to have a 3.7 grade point average and receive either a 1270 or above on the SAT or a 29 or above on the ACT.

Freshman Seth Jackson said his direct admit status is what helped him make his decision to attend IU.

“It’s intimidating being a direct admit,” Jackson said. “It adds a lot of pressure. I’m glad I’m already in, but I’m going to be studying harder to stay in.”

So how do the two groups compare?

Reiser said the standard admission students tend to be successful in job placement, but the direct admits tend to garner the elite jobs.

But, Reiser said, when considering academic probation, there are few standard admit students on probation. A majority of probation students are direct admits.

“Standard admission students have already developed a work ethic early, and some direct admit students need to learn to be good students,” he said.

Reiser also said the rift between standard admissions students who think direct admission isn’t fair stems from direct admits who take their position for granted.

“Sometimes direct admits come here and blow it off,” Reiser said. “Students killing themselves in A100 see these kids sitting next to them not even trying. Those students stick out more.”

Reiser said this is not common for all direct admits and that the system is fair because direct admits spend four years of high school reaching these standards.

“We want it to be a realistic goal to get in,” Reiser said. “We evaluate work ethic. Students get in trouble not because they’re dumb, but because they make choices that aren’t academically focused.”