Monroe County burn ban now in effect until further notice

What was temporary is now permanent. That is until the Monroe County Board of Commissioners decides to lift a burn ban that was originally scheduled to end Sept. 29.
On Sept. 23, the Board instituted a burn ban within county limits.
The ban makes note of the recent dry conditions in the area and prohibits certain uses of fire due to an increased risk of widespread fires in Monroe County.

“We’ve had exceedingly dry weather and a lack of rainfall,” Jason Oberle, Monroe County Administrator, said. “That and wind made the fire hazard high.”

Specifically, it outlaws recreational fires not enclosed in a fire ring with a 23-inch diameter, height of 10 inches and open burning of any kind — except charcoal and propane grills.
Burning of debris is banned as well.

The original, temporary ban of Sept. 23 was extended until the Board decides to lift the ban, according to a proclamation released on Sept. 24.

A specific date has yet to be released.  

Of course, the ban will probably not be lifted for some time, due to the continuous low amount of precipitation, Scott Smith City of Bloomington fire prevention officer said.

For Bloomington residents, there are further fire restrictions, in accordance with Bloomington Municipal Code. Within city limits, no open fires are allowed without a city permit, unless they are in fire pits or grills intended for the preparation of food.

But above all, officials stressed caution.

Drew Daily, Morgan-Monroe State Forest’s fire coordinator, deals with fire dangers and helping local authorities decide what is safe and what is not on a daily basis.

“Be cautious with smoking products,” Daily said. “Honor the bans counties put in place. Make sure fires are attended at all times and that there’s a method to put them out nearby.”