sports golf

Men's golf team places 5th at Windon Memorial Classic

Men's golf - Hugo Mendez

The IU men’s golf team finished in a tie for fifth place this weekend at the Windon Memorial Classic in Chicago. After an outstanding final round Monday, the Hoosiers found themselves tied with Purdue at 868.

“We played an excellent final round,” assistant coach Jamie Broce said. “We really hung in during the second round, which hasn’t been our strong spot as of late, which gave us an opportunity to come out and play great today.”

Leading the way for the Hoosiers was junior co-captain David Erdy, who posted two out of three rounds under par and finished the tournament -2 at 211 (69-74-68).

“His game has been great, but now he made strides mentally,” Broce said of Erdy. “He did a great job of staying in the moment and taking it one shot at a time.”

Also going low for IU was the team’s other co-captain, junior Chase Wright, who finished at 219. Freshman David Mills continued his good play, tying for 40th with a score of 221 (78-72-71).

“Mills is a scrappy player,” Broce said. “He isn’t afraid to hit the shot he needs to hit, and it’s a great quality to have on our team.”

Also contributing for the Hoosiers were sophomores Corey Ziedonis and Brant Peaper. Ziedonis finished the weekend competing individually for IU at 225 (79-74-72), and Peaper came in at 226 (71-79-76).

The team will be off this weekend and will rest before heading to Akron to compete in the Firestone Invitational.

“It’ll be nice to take advantage of a couple rest days,” Broce said. “These guys need a little rest, but we’re excited to gear up for Firestone.”