Marching Hundred enters CBS competition to win $25,000, network airtime

Marching 100

In the center of Memorial Stadium, on the 50-yard line, a bikini-clad man pointed his trumpet toward the sky.

Surrounding him was the rest of the IU Marching Hundred, bobbing, swaying and Hula-ing to the tune of “Hawaii 5-0” as a revolving camera atop an 8-foot ladder caught every note.

But why, at 5:45 p.m. on a Thursday, with an abundance of rainbow leis and snorkel gear, was the award-winning band playing to rows and rows of empty bleachers?

Per the request of CBS, said Marching Hundred director Dave Woodley.

“They contacted me this summer to see if we were interested in competing against other high school and university bands,” he said. “That’s why we look so beach wacky today.”

For a chance to win $25,000 and airtime on the network, the Marching Hundred deviated from its standard of professionalism, putting on a surfer persona.

Because, Woodley explained, recreating a theme song from a Hawaii-based television show required surfer personas.

“We’re going for something part serious, part fun,” he said. “I’m not expecting to win, but I hope to win. And if we win, I’ll throw this group a party and purchase the new instruments we’ve needed for 30 years.”

Woodley said CBS, which will launch a remake of “Hawaii 5-O” on Sept. 20, wanted to see personality, color and pizzazz in video entries — the same characteristics that captured hearts during the show’s original airing throughout the ’70s.

“I need you guys to move out of Indiana for a little bit,” Woodley said to the band. “Be less Midwestern, and don’t be afraid to do this.”

He burst into a fit of pelvic thrusts as laughter erupted around him.

“And go!”

Two hours earlier, the Hundred met on the parking lot between Assembly Hall and the Fee Lane tennis courts.

Freshman Evan Barry, part of the drumline, prepared to play the musical equivalent of a rattlesnake: a Vibra-slap.

“This is the first song that’s needed a Vibra-slap all season, and probably the last,” he said. “The only cool thing about it is Ozzy Osbourne used it in ‘Crazy Train.’”

Barry, who usually plays snare drum, said he “just sort of picked up” how to play the buzz-producing device.

On his wrist, a green band read “Hearts on fire, minds on ice,” a sentiment from a former music teacher.

At his feet, sheet music indicated when to send loud, low rattles into a mix of trombones and tubas and flutes.

Senior Tonya Mitchell, the drum major who’d been skimboarding down a hill moments earlier, called the band into playing formation.

Five whistles.

5-0 begins.

Barry hits the Vibra-slap.

He, standing ahead of the rest of the band, had three takes to get it right.
Mitchell, who has been leading the Hundred for 14 months, said all players must work skillfully under a tight deadline to win.

Mission one: Record a flawless rendition of the theme song, which won American film score composer Morton Stevens two Emmy Awards four decades ago.

Mission two: Earn approval from Woodley, who thundered orders from a foldout chair he purchased at Sam’s Club.

Mission three: Synch music with the footage shot in Memorial Stadium and send the edited video to CBS by Sept. 16.

After two and a half hours of playing, changing positions and readjusting grass skirts, the Marching Hundred nailed it.

Sophomore Jacquelyn Brice, who shook a tambourine next to Barry, said she believes the band will crush all competition.

“We did well,” she said. “And I had fun getting my Bahama Mama on.”