Friday, July 26

sports volleyball

IU sweeps adidas Classic

Adidas Classic

The IU volleyball team won all three of its weekend matches to claim the IU adidas Classic championship.

The Hoosiers (6-0) claimed their second invitational title by beating Arkansas State and North Carolina State in straight sets and by rallying late in the fifth frame to defeat Illinois State.

After 25-20 victories in the first two sets against the Redbirdsin IU’s second match Saturday, the Hoosiers dropped the next two frames and faced a 13-8 deficit in the decisive fifth set. A kill by sophomore outside hitter Ivie Obeime sparked a four-point IU rally to bring the Hoosiers within one of Illinois State.

The Redbirds then earned a double match point, but that was as close to the win as they would get. After an Illinois State service error, IU sophomore defensive specialist Laura Matula nailed an ace for the first of four Hoosier points to complete the comeback and seal the five-set victory.

The win, along with straight-set triumphs against Arkansas State and North Carolina State, earned IU the hardware in its home tournament.

Senior middle blocker Ashley Benson, who hit at a .548 efficiency and tallied 1.91 blocks per set on the weekend, was named MVP after earning the same honor the previous weekend at the Georgia Tech Courtyard Marriott Classic.

Junior libero Caitlin Cox and sophomore outside hitter Jordan Haverly were named to the all-tournament team along with Benson.